An advanced wound care dressing, ColActive® Plus Ag is formulated with a patented blend collagen, sodium alginate, carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC), ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) and silver chloride. Once it comes in contact with the wound fluid, this topically applied dressing transforms into a soft gel sheet that helps create a moist environment for healing, including the formation of granulation tissue and epithelialization.
How it Works
Once a ColActive Plus Ag dressing is in place, the EDTA removes zinc to inhibit the activity of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP), and the silver provides a degree of antimicrobial activity.
This unique combination:
• Helps the wound maintain a consistent pH level without altering plasma proteins, growth factors and other cell types key for healing.
• Prevents the formation of and breaks up existing biofilms.
• Uses a fish-based collagen source, as opposed to bovine.
• Provides broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity through 5% ionic silver.
• Absorbs up to 20 times its weight in drainage fluid while maintaining an optimal moisture balance for wound closure, thanks to the CMC and alginate.
• Draws in damaging MMPs from the wound. Acting as a chelator, the EDTA facilitates a bond between the MMPs and the zinc ions.
Based on research, ColActive Plus Ag dressings:
• Help chronic wounds heal within an eight-week period for the majority of patients.
• Reduce the size of chronic wounds by 65%.
• Allow second-degree burns to heal in less time, compared to standard care solutions.
When to Use
ColActive® Plus Ag is indicated for management of full- and partial-thickness wounds, including:
• Pressure ulcers
• Diabetic ulcers
• Ulcers caused by mixed vascular etiologies
• Venous ulcers
• Donor and graft sites
• Traumatic wounds healing by secondary intention
• Dehisced surgical wounds
• First- and second-degree burns
The dressings may be trimmed and layered for the management of deep wounds.
When Not to Use
ColActive® Plus Ag dressings should not be used on third-degree burns or on patients with a known allergy or sensitivity to animal-derived collagen, silver or any other ingredient listed.