KerraCel® Ag is a non-woven sterile wound dressing using a mix of carboxymethylcellulose (CMC), cellulose fibers and silver (0.2mg/cm2) to create a barrier against bacterial growth for as long as seven days. Developing a gel consistency upon application, KerraCel® Ag dressings shape to the wound bed while absorbing large amounts of exudate and creating an ideal healing environment.
How it Works
KerraCel® Ag is formulated with ag oxysalts™, which offer six times the strength of a traditional silver dressing. Once applied, KerraCel® Ag:
• Rapidly kills 99.999% (5 log) of both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria within a biofilm.
• Guards against biofilm reformation.
• Helps reduce inflammation, which can result in greater tissue damage and invite bacteria.
• Absorbs, wicks away and holds onto exudate from both the wound bed and periwound skin to reduce potential maceration around the wound.
• Produces oxygen to create an ideal healing environment.
• Shapes to the wound bed, eliminating any gaps where bacteria can thrive and allows for one-piece removal.
KerraCel® Ag meets endotoxin limitations and can be used on both chronic and acute wounds, including full- and partial-thickness wounds and traumatic wounds. Through medical supervision, the dressing can additionally be applied to help heal:
• Leg ulcers
• Pressure ulcers
• Diabetic foot ulcers
• Surgical wounds
• First- and second-degree burns
• Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
The formula is not compatible with oil-based products and should not be used with petrolatum solutions.
This product is part of 3M’s comprehensive plan for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers (DFU) and venous leg ulcers (VLU). Biofilm, present in greater than 70% of chronic wounds, causes persistent inflammation and poor wound healing. Wound bed preparation, including the management of biofilm, is an essential element in treating these often-stubborn conditions.