A Foley catheter, also called an indwelling catheter, is a slender tube that is inserted through the urethra and into the bladder to help drain urine. The end of the tube that goes into the bladder has a tiny balloon on it that gets filled with liquid after insertion to keep it in place. There are two-way and three-way Foley catheters. The type most commonly used is the two-way, which has one port for draining urine and a second for inflating the balloon. Three-way Foley catheters have an additional port for administering medications.
Find Foley catheters designed for men, women, children or universal use in this inventory. Some are made from latex, others from latex-free silicone and many are coated with antimicrobials to lower infections risks or hydrogels or other lubricants for more comfortable insertion.
How to Care for a Foley Catheter at Home
- Wash your hands before and after emptying or handling your Foley catheter, and clean the area around it frequently.
- A drainage bag must always be attached to the outside end of the catheter tube to collect urine. Leg bags can be worn under clothing and secured by elastic or Velcro straps. Bedside drainage bags hang or clip onto a bedframe to collect urine while you’re in bed.
- Secure the catheter tube to your body with tape or a stabilization device like Cath-Secure Plus to reduce irritation and risk of infection.
- Irrigation may be necessary to clear mucus build-up and keep a steady urine flow. Follow your doctor’s recommendations for Foley catheter irrigation.
- Empty the drainage bag when it is about half full and at bedtime.
Catheter Products You May Need
Foley catheters are available individually and in kits that include disposable gloves, a waterproof sacral pad for leaks and other insertion aids. Kits are also available without Foley catheters. Find a variety of sizes and styles of urine collection bags, including disposable and reusable leg bags in vinyl or fabric as well as bedside drainage bags with built-in hangers and various tap types. Irrigation kits, straps for leg bags and other catheter products from brand names you trust are also available.