For no- to low-exudate wounds, Xeroform® is a non-adhering, occlusive gauze dressing designed to easily conform to the area surrounding the wound. Creating a moist healing environment, fine mesh impregnated with petrolatum provides these properties. 3% bismuth tribromophenate is added to deliver bacteriostatic action as the wound heals.
What are Xeroform® Dressings?
Xeroform® is a type of impregnated gauze dressing. This combination:
- Conforms to the body’s shape for improved contact, and remains in place during wear.
- Creates a moist environment underneath, allowing for improved wound healing.
- Won’t stick to the wound bed, reducing trauma upon removal.
- Shields the wound bed from exposure to outside substances, and protects any medication or gel applied.
- Absorbs a small amount of exudate.
- Provides a degree of compression therapy.
- Can be used on both deep and shallow wounds.
- Feels gentle against the skin.
- Assists with lessening any wound odor.
- Helps control bacteria and biofilms present to further improve healing.
What is Bismuth Tribromophenate?
As the active ingredient in Xeroform® dressings, bismuth tribromophenate delivers antimicrobial properties. Bacteriostatic action comes from bismuth ions deactivating any microorganisms present.
Bismuth-impregnated petrolatum gauze like Xeroform® prevents bacterial colonies from growing and spreading, reducing numbers present. This lowers infection risks and allows the wound to heal more efficiently.
Indications for Xeroform® Gauze Dressings
Xeroform® is ideal as a contact layer or primary dressing for a number of no- to low-exudating wounds, including:
- Skin-graft sites
- First- and second-degree burns
- Donor sites
- Surgical incision sites
Xeroform® should not be applied to infected wounds.
To use, cleanse the wound first, and dry the skin. Apply Xeroform® gauze directly to the wound, and secure it with a secondary dressing.