The ChloraPrep™ applicator allows medical professionals to prepare a patient’s skin with a sterile 2% w/v chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) solution. These single-use, hands-free applicators offer a latex-free option that easily delivers the precise amount of solution for each procedure and protects against decontamination.
How it Works
Supported by over 50 clinical studies, ChloraPrep™ applicators are formulated with 2% w/v chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) and 70% v/v isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Designed for professional and hospital use, ChloraPrep™ reduces bacteria during skin preparation and helps reduce the incidence of skin infection.
ChloraPrep™ applicators feature a patented winged shape, which assists medical professionals with sterilizing via aseptic technique.
This proprietary shape:
- Helps with standardizing sterilization practices across care settings and provides cost savings in the process.
- Allows for fast-acting and consistent skin preparation, including for peripheral IV insertion and major surgery.
- Is available in a clear tone for colorless preparation.
- Meets Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guidelines for the Prevention of Intravascular Catheter-Related Infections.
If the packaging remains intact, ChloraPrep™ applicators provide a sterile skin preparation solution.
One ChloraPrep™ applicator covers an area roughly 2.5 in. by 2.5 in. in size. To use:
- Take the applicator out of its packaging, careful to not touch the sponge.
- Before applying the solution, hold the applicator sponge-side down.
- Pinch the applicator’s wings to release the antiseptic solution.
- Fully wet the skin area with the solution. If using on a dry surgical site, go back and forth over the area for 30 seconds; with moist surgical sites, do this motion for two minutes.
- Allow the area to dry completely: dry surgical sites require 30 seconds, and moist surgical sites require one minute. Do not blow or wipe the solution away.
- Discard the applicator and solution after use.
- ChloraPrep™ applicators must be stored in 59 to 86° F conditions; avoid freezing and heat above 104° F.
- Solution may cause irritation in infants under 2 months of age.
- ChloraPrep™ must be completely dry before using a laser, cautery or another ignition source, and any soaked materials must be removed before using these devices.
- Avoid applying to hairy areas.
- ChloraPrep™ should not pool on the skin.
- Place a towel under each side of the neck when applying the solution to the neck area.
- ChloraPrep™ must not be used if a patient is allergic to its active ingredients, if the patient has an open wound, with the meninges and in or around the eyes, ears and mouth.
- Solution is flammable and should not be used with electrocautery procedures.
- ChloraPrep™ should not be used as a general cleanser.
- Single-use solutions have a two-year shelf life from the date of manufacture.