A primary wound dressing designed for treating burns, MEDIHONEY® uses a patented formula composed of 80% Active Leptospermum Honey and 20% natural gelling agents.
Over 230 studies, trials and scientific evidence support MEDIHONEY® wound dressings’ ability to remove necrotic tissue and improve wound healing compared to standard medical dressings.
How MEDIHONEY® Gel Dressings Work
Delivery: Beyond their medical-grade composition, MEDIHONEY® gel dressings ensure ideal delivery at the site of the wound.
Improved Contact: Free of latex, the material stays in place upon application and improves contact between its solution and the wound, even if the tissue is expelling fluid and body heat.
Healing and Usage: The result better aids in the healing process, requires fewer applications and offers an alternative to traditional gel and paste formulas for difficult-to-access wounds.
Optimal Healing Environment: MEDIHONEY® dressings and formula create an optimal healing environment with just enough moisture for wounds and burns, draw fluid from the skin into the material and assist with keeping pH levels in check.
Helps Heal a Range of Wounds: MEDIHONEY® gel dressings are ideal for tunneled and delayed-healing wounds, diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers, leg ulcers, first- and second-degree burns, traumatic injuries and surgical wounds.
Note: The formula is not designed for third-degree burns or to reduce bleeding.
How to Use MEDIHONEY® Gel
To apply MEDIHONEY® gel dressings, you’ll start by washing your hands, putting on gloves and observing the status of the wound. From here:
1. Cleanse the wound bed and peri-wound skin with a sterile or saline solution. Then, dry the area off with a gauze pad.
2. Consider applying a barrier cream or ointment to help preserve the skin’s integrity.
3. Apply MEDIHONEY® gel. For a shallow wound, the dressing can go over the wound’s boundary by up to half an inch. For deep wounds, pack the dressing in loosely to fill the cavity.
4. Apply a secondary dressing on top to help the MEDIHONEY® gel remain in place and not wipe off.
1. Check to see how much wound fluid the secondary dressing has absorbed.
2. If the dressing or wound bed appears dry, moisten it with a sterile saline solution to assist with removal.
3. Gently with a motion away from the skin remove the secondary and primary dressings.
4. Cleanse the wound bed before re-applying MEDIHONEY® gel.