The PureWick System is an innovative option that is intended for non-invasive urine output management in female patients.
Why the PureWick™ System?
• The PureWick™ System in an innovative option to managing urinary incontinence
• The PureWick™ System can reduce trips to the bathroom, which is a known cause of nighttime falls
• Additionally, the PureWick™ System makes better sleep possible.
How it Works
The PureWick™ System includes the PureWick™ Female External Catheter and the PureWick™ Urine Collection System. The PureWick™ Female External Catheter works outside the body to draw urine away effectively. By pulling urine away from the body, the PureWick™ System helps reduce the risk of one of the leading causes of skin damage.
The PureWick™ System was designed with you in mind, with features that include:
• Non-invasive; works outside the body to wick urine away
• External catheter (wick) is made of soft, flexible material
• Absorbent wick designed for 8 – 12 hours use
• Can be used while lying down or seated in a reclined position
• Small size system that easily fits on a nightstand or small table
• Contains a sealed collection canister
• Easy to setup and clean
• Available with battery backup power or without
PureWick™ Female External Catheters : The PureWick™ Female External Catheter is a non-invasive wick made of soft, flexible fabric that draws urine away from the body into the collection canister. The wick should be replaced every 8 to 12 hours. Each box contains (30) wicks.
PureWick™ Urine Collection System Accessory Replacement Kit Includes (1) 2000cc collection canister with lid, (1) pump tubing and (1) collector tubing with elbow connector.
How to Use the PureWick™ System
1. Set up Your PureWick™ System
• Plug the power cord into device outlet and into an A/C power outlet. Note: Make sure the power switch is turned OFF.
• Place the collection canister in the base and press down firmly on the lid of the device making sure lid is sealed.
• Optional: If you are using the optional privacy cover, slip the cover onto the canister before placing the canister into the base.
• Attach the pump tubing (short tube) to the PureWick™ Urine Collection System connector port and to the connector port on collection canister lid.
• Attach the elbow connector to the collector tubing (long tube) and connect the elbow connector to the connector port on collection canister lid.
• Connect other end of collector tubing (long tube) to a PureWick™ External Catheter.
2. Place the PureWick™ Female External Catheter
• Perform perineal care and assess skin integrity.
• Separate legs, gluteus muscles, and labia. Palpate pubic bone as anatomical marker.
• With soft gauze side facing patient, align distal end at gluteal cleft.
• Gently tuck soft gauze side between separated gluteus and labia.
3. Removal and maintenance
• Fully separate the legs, gluteus, and labia
• To avoid potential skin injury upon removal, gently pull the PureWick™ Female External Catheter directly outward.
• Ensure suction is maintained while removing the PureWick™ Female External Catheter.
• Replace at least every 8 to 12 hours or if soiled with feces or blood. Assess skin for compromise and perform perineal care • prior to placement of a new PureWick™ Female External Catheter.
How often do you need to replace the canister and tubing?
The canister and tubing should be replaced every 60 days or sooner if you see signs of degradation.
How much urine can the collection canister hold?
The PureWick™ Urine Collection System 2000cc (ml) canister should be emptied before volume reaches 1800cc (ml), or as needed.
How many PureWick™ Female External Catheters do I need?
Individual use may vary depending on your needs. The external catheter should be replaced at least every 8-12 hours or sooner if soiled with feces or blood.
Where does the urine go?
The PureWick™ Female External Catheter is non-invasive and draws urine away from the body through soft material. The PureWick™ Urine Collection System pulls the urine through the collector tubing into the collection canister.
Is the PureWick™ System quiet?
Users and caregivers agree that the PureWick™ System is quiet enough to not disturb the user’s sleep.